Welcome to Lesson 1!
In this first lesson on Haroun and the Sea of Stories we will discuss the content of chapters 1-4. We will also focus on the following topics:
- two ways we can lose our story
- how knowing the right stories can help us do the right thing
- how stories that aren’t true help us see the world rightly
Clarification: In the video I said that Rashid loses his story when he pursues his career. It is truer to say that Rashid loses part of his story by neglecting his wife.
He has a clear calling to be a storyteller, so he should be pursuing his career. But he is also a husband, so he must be the best one he can be. When he neglects one part of his story for the sake of another part, he fails in both.
For Next Time
- When you finish watching the videos, take a moment to answer these questions in the comments section below: Of all the stories you’ve read, which ones have done the most to shape you? What stories have beefed up your imagination, filled your heart with love, and moved you to pursue what truly satisfies?
- Read chapters 5-8 of Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Click here to download the reading guide for these chapters. Remember that the reading guide should enhance your reading, not get in the way of it. Use it in the best way you see fit.
- Email me any questions you have!