Hello, everyone! Welcome to Lesson 5 on Beowulf.
In this lesson we will discuss:
- Beowulf’s fight against the third (and last) monster
- The meaning of the mysterious ceremonies at Beowulf’s funeral
- The overall purpose and meaning of this poem
That’s it for this lesson! Be sure do the following before moving on:
- Share your thoughts and questions about this lesson in the comment section below.
- Let someone else know about this class! Use the share buttons below.
- Start a new class. See the whole list here.
If you’d like to study further the ideas we discussed in this lesson, read the essays and introductions in these two books:
- Beowulf: A Verse Translation (Norton Critical Editions), edited by Daniel Donoghue, translated by Seamus Heaney
- Beowulf: A Dual-Language Translation, translated by Howell D. Chickering