Hello, everyone! Welcome to Lesson 4 on Beowulf.
In this lesson we will discuss:
- Why the most dangerous threat in this poem is NOT the monsters
- How Beowulf becomes king
- What dragons mean in Anglo-Saxon poetry and Germanic legend
That’s it for this lesson! Be sure do the following before moving on:
- Share your thoughts and questions about this lesson in the comment section below or in the Member Chat section in the sidebar.
- Read lines 2510-3182 of Beowulf. Remember to read with a pencil as you go!
If you’d like to study further the ideas we discussed in this lesson, read the essays and introductions in these two books:
- Beowulf: A Verse Translation (Norton Critical Editions), edited by Daniel Donoghue, translated by Seamus Heaney
- Beowulf: A Dual-Language Translation, translated by Howell D. Chickering