Hello, everyone! Welcome to Lesson 2 on Beowulf.
In this lesson we will discuss:
- Grendel’s reign of terror in Denmark
- How and why Beowulf comes to the Danes’ aid
- Beowulf’s fight against the first monster
That’s it for this lesson! Be sure do the following before moving on:
- Share your thoughts and questions about this lesson in the comment section below.
- Read lines 836-1650 of Beowulf. Remember to read with a pencil as you go!
If you’d like to study further the ideas we discussed in this lesson, read the essays and introductions in these two books:
- Beowulf: A Verse Translation (Norton Critical Editions), edited by Daniel Donoghue, translated by Seamus Heaney
- Beowulf: A Dual-Language Translation, translated by Howell D. Chickering